Re: Can two EDP's do this? How?

Hi TJ,

I think there's a really simple answer.

Any stereo Looper can be used as dual mono tracks
if you route the input audio with a mixer.

hoewever, here's more info

TJ Sutherland wrote:
> Hi, all
>
> I have one EDP and now need to loop in what I think of as a two-track
> mode, with two EDPs:

The question you really need to ask is
"how can I control 2 edps to behave the way I want".

> I need the two outputs to be
> independent of each other, for volume, panning, and effects reasons.

why? (just asking)

> I know I can MIDI sync two EDPs, but can I control their inputs
>independently,
> so that I can lay down track 2 without overwriting track 1?
> (I can reach over and turn the knobs by hand, if need be.)
> I will be panning the output from my mixer hard R or hard L to send the
>sounds to either of the EDPs' inputs.

right, so by routing with the mixer you *already* worked out how to do
that.
That'll be better than using the EDP input volume knobs, as these are
used for trimming the input vol.
(you'd have to set them accurately every time, not a problem with a
mixer pan pot )

>  From there, I think what I need to do is more typical sync--have the
> two EDPs be set to have the same number of multiple loops, respond to
> the same Nextloop/Record command, and shuffling between the multiple
> loops via Nextloop.
>
> I think that what I need is for the Master EDP input setting to not
> control  the Slave input setting, but otherwise have the Slave following
> the Master commands.

right, so your plan is to use the 2 edps exactly as if thet were
a stereo pair, but to route the audio to either EDP.

The Input volume on the slave EDP *never* follows the master by the way.

> Can two synced EDP's do this?

yes

> If so, how?

you can either do it the way you describe.

Or, you could use a sophisticated midi controller to achieve
the result more efficiently.

> The more explicit your description, the better off I'll be. I need to
> know stone cold that I can do this before I buy another EDP.

right,
the one possible caveat is that BrotherSync isn't 100% reliable
if you use it in the way you describe.
Occasionally sync will drift.

Midi sync won't drift (unless the slave is in Overdub).

So YES, run 2 EDPs master slave on the same midi channel
EDP 1 > Sync= Out
EDP 2 > Sync= In
use just an FC7 for control ( or midi)
then route the audio by mixer

and it'll all work

> (And for the record, I know the Looperlative is an amazing machine, but
> I've been told by folks on their forum that in terms of recording, there
> is no way to treat the stereo loops of the LP1 as two distinct tracks.

however, for the application as you describe it, there isn't a problem.
If you use your mixer to steer the audio to either channel then
it should work easily.

> The best I've been told I can do is to Group a pair of loops together to
> create a two-track loop. And it that it may or may not be possible to
> then shuffle between the groups in order to move between loops.

I'm amazed you didn't get a yes/no answer on that.

Still, if you wanted to use the stereo tracks as dual mono
(by using the mixer for routing) then the LP1 is going to be
less hassle than 2 edps.

> So even
> though the fidelity of the LP1 is higher,
> and it has many other
> admirable attributes, I am still thinking that a pair of EDPs may do the
> job I need more directly, and therefore easily.)
>
> Thanks for your thoughts,
> TJ

andy butler