Re: the death of the loop

On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 5:27 PM, Buzap Buzap <buzap@gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi Kevin
> Yeah, try it with "instant" setting (is it same as SUS on EDP? don't
>know the jargon so well...). With an "instant pedal" you can place
>rhythmic accents into an existing loop etc.

(Some related info on this interesting topic:)

This trick can be done on an EDP with both the Replace and the
Substitute command. If setting the "pedal functionality" to "sustain"
("SUS" in the front panel display) rather than "toggle" the
replaced/substituted audio slice is quantized according to the cycle
value ("cycle" on an EDP is the length of the first loop you created.
So in order to "go glitchy" you need to start with a very short loop
and multiply it up a length that feels like a musical bar etc). The
difference between Replace and Substitute is that with Replace you
hear the looping backgrund disappearing as you do the replacing while
with Substitute nothing happens until the loop plays back; then you
hear the latest live playing slice is substituting a slice of the old
layer at that point.

--> Seamless sculpting
A cool way to use this is to run the EDP at an alternative performance
mode - my fav is Replace Mode, but Expert Mode is also common -
because then you get the option to set how much of the old loop layer
will be substituted (front panel knob or volume pedal plugged in on
rear panel).

In the software looper Mobius similar control is constantly available
by setting its unique parameter Secondary Feedback level (not to be
confused with the normal Feedback). While the EDP offers the two
length alternatives Loop and Cycle Mobius has a third, Sub Cycle, that
is shorter and perfect for these slicing techniques. Substituting with
Secondary Feedback control is a very powerful tool for sculpting the
loop.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se