Re: OT Create your own Impulse models for freeware Convolution Reverbs

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 10:15 AM, andy butler <akbutler@tiscali.co.uk>
wrote:
> If you had a set of impulses corresponding to the location
> of the individual elements of the kit then you could run
> the close mic'ed signals through their respective convolution
> ....that could work.

That's an excellent idea! If applied to a choir recording you set up
the stereo mic recording, push record and ask the members of the choir
to sing a short note each, taking turns one after the other. Then when
back in the studio you create convolution impulses for each choir
member and in the mix you insert the reverb on the each singer's close
up mic channel and load it with the matching impulse file.

That would a way to sound, maybe not better than a Lexicon hardware
box, but more natural - as in true to the original sound.

It would be fun to have a bunch of such "multi set convolution
impulse" files and experiment in "dressing up" different close mic
recorded ensemble performances (drum kit, choir, brass band or simply
any instrument track of a mix) by true ambiences form all kind of
locations. It amazes me that there are so many good libraries of
single location impulse files but no multi sets for sale on the
market! I guess that is because the producers that need that detailed
sound reproduction prefer to roll their own anyway.

A typical case where impulse respons technique is perfect could be if
you happen to have a cracked guitar speaker that sounds just awesome
at a specific volume drive. Snag that temporary phase in its
deterioration process to keep for future productions to be applied to
any sound source. If you have Logic Studio installed, check under
"warped" to find these kinds of "speaker" or "analog circuit" impulse

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se
www.perboysen.com