Re: OT: New MBP... or not? (Firewire still necessary?)

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 9:41 AM,  <buzap@gmx.net> wrote:
> Anyway, the question is:
> Is it still essential to have Firewire interface?

That depends on what you are going to use the gear for. The Firewire
protocol is better if you will run the computer at high CPU strain
with multiple channels going; typically a band recording studio
application. The downsides of the USB protocol will not affect you if
you use the gear in a home studio environment where you rather add
recorded tracks one after the other as overdubs. For live looping USB
is fine too.

I've had reports from colleges that the i7 brings incredible bang for
the buck right now. I don't need all that extra juice though and plan
to stay on a hardworking 2.2 GHz Core 2 Duo for hopefully many more
years.

I guess the 13" Macbook Pro will be quite efficient too, given the
fast front side bus. I've noticed in the past, when comparing
computers for audio, that this is as important as is the CPU speed. I
checked to Macbooks with the same CPU and the one with the faster bus
showed a lot more muscles in audio processing.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se
www.perboysen.com