Re: Great Quote about Looping by Brian Eno

Rainer Straschill wrote:

> Back to your statement: while caring about the art itself is vital
> (unless you're trying to make it big in the pop world, of course), some
> sort of audience feedback seems helpful to me, too. Not that I get that
> much of it; to take my ongoing internet streaming concert, I think I
> maxed out once at a dozen viewers or so (not counting the VSV), with
> typically two or three, and I had also performed in front of a virtual
> empty house. Does that make my art really valid? Or does it just tell us
> that either my art sucks or I don't do enough for marketing?

It doesn't tell us anything about your art at all,
...except that you still want to play when no-ones watching.

> What I'm trying to get at: you should invest those 10000 hours to get
> good at making music, but while you're doing that, you should also
> invest at least 2500 hours in marketing (unless you really don't care).

I think I'm a bit short of your ideal ratio on promotion.

I do have a desire to communicate though, and have some sort of a
concept of "putting on a show". I don't think that's a compromise
of artistic integrity.

I'm not trying to validate the idea of the artist who contributes
nothing to society...just tired of the hype.
( it's worse in UK too )

andy