Re: Windows 7 issues/

Nathan Lang schrieb:
> One thing I don’t think anyone mentioned yet is that in order to fully
> take advantage of the 64-bit operating system you should run 64-bit
> applications whenever possible. Most programs will still be 32-bit…and
> they will still work quite well of course…But applications that are
> 64-bit are best, and will take full advantage of all your CPU cores
> and RAM in a 64-bit system.
There is no relationship between an application being 64bit and its use
of multi-core/multiprocessor architectures.
One thing to note, however, is that pre-Windows 7 versions of Windows
will lead to reduction in performance running hyperthreading-enabled
cpus (such as Gulftown, Lynnfield, Bloomfield an Clarksdale), so if
you're running Vista or XP, other processors (e.g. Arrandale) may
perform faster with non-multicore apps although "by spec" they should be
slower.

The newer architectures (Nehalem and followups) also enhance on running
non-multicore apps via their frequency binning - also worth noticing.

--
http://moinlabs.de
Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/moinlabs