Re: Re: Drum machine

Matt Davignon wrote:

"For performances, I usually recommend AGAINST using a drum machine.
I've yet to see a show with a drum machine playing pre-composed
rhythms, where I didn't think the show would've been better without
the drum machine. (No beats is better than canned beats)."

It's funny Matt, but as a professional drummer, I'm supposed to be the guy
who really hates drum machines,  especially,  repeating one or two bar
static grooves
but, in fact,  I love it when people are really creative about using
static drum machine parts.

For some reason,  I love that this approach is not human..............that
it is static
and artificial.

In fact,  I've found that the more minimalistic a drum machine part is and
the louder
it is in the mix,  the more interesting I find it in the composition.  A
drum beat with no
variation doesn't have a lot of natural 'energy' so I find that you can
actually add some energy
by calling attention to the fact that it IS static and unchanging.

Also,  by having only a single bar length (or possibly two) and by being
extremely minimal
it actively engages the mind of the listener to 'contribute' rhythm to a
piece in much the same
way that an incredibly simple but funky bass line can sometimes make
people 'hear' other syncopations
in a part.   Faced with abject minimalism from a sensory standpoint,  the
human brain 'makes up' things.
Sometimes, in this way,  having only one single 16th note offbeat in a two
bar rhythm of otherwise
8th note grooves (any of Parliament/Funkadelic's drummers) can actually be
a much funkier approach than putting in a zillion offbeats (David
Garibaldi style).

Also, the juxtaposition of the different kinds of artificial timbres that
are possible
with a drum machine (especially analogue and synthetic/found sounds)
playing a one bar loop,
and the fact that it's feel is so rigid
and mechanical with real and expressive and nuanced playing that one could
never get from even a
cleverly programmed drum machine by a human being makes for a really
delicious set of possibilities.

If it's done cleverly, aesthetically, and extremely minimally I think it
lends
a kind of energy to a piece that rivals just pure playing.

But then, again,  statically playing repetitive interlocking grooves is
precisely
why I love live looping.

I was telling Mogli (Eric DeArantanha) during a Rhythm Intensive lesson
today,  that though I appreciate
the use of feedback in many loopers performances that I still haven't run
out of ideas using
the mere stacking and processing and dubbing of static, feedback-less
parts (my brother, Matthias Grob
is now rolling in his grave,  and he's still living).

 I guess that what makes art so compelling is that there is a lot of room
for all different kinds of passions and approaches to making music.

I sure love what you do,  my friend.    That's a fact, for sure.

yours,   Rick Walker