Re: OT: Laptops for general use & music?

On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 6:39 PM, ejyuhas <ejyuhas@embarqmail.com> wrote:
> But what are some of you using for reliable laptops that cover all your
> bases, meaning your workhorse, email, surfing, as well as using some
> programs like Soundplant, iTunes and/or desktop recording with an
>interface
> and Reason, or any other acceptable programs?

Since a few years ago I have settled with laptops from Apple that run
Mac OS. Before that I used Windows and built my own stationary
computers where I picked particular components (motherboard, CPU,
fans, RAM configuration and video card) that were known for working
well together for audio applications. On these machines I had three or
four alternative system boot partitions where two were audio optimized
(identical mutual backup), one was for email and office work and one
was for games and crap code applications. When the Centrino standard
came around I had such an Intel single core cpu laptop for two years
that was stable - although I did not use it for any network tasks or
ever upgraded the XP Pro system from Microsoft, just kept it audio
optimized all the time. When Intel launched the multi core CPU
standard I decided to go with Apple's pc's to escape the extra work to
keep a stable system optimized for audio and still escape virus and
other evil network influences ;-)  Can't really say I have looked
back.. until writing this post ;-))

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se