Re: Some observations about Y2KX

On 19 Oct 2010, at 10:22, kkissinger@kevinkissinger.com wrote:

> Hi everyone!
>
> Y2KX was my 4th festival in Santa Cruz and I noticed a few things and
>wonder if they indicate a trend in Live Looping.

nice, I like such thinking ;-)

> 1) Few (if any) equipment glitches.
>
> In the past, equipment glitches occurred with enough regularity that one
>considered glitches to be part of the looping game.  This year, the only
>noticeable glitch was when Bob utilized his prototype LP2 -- and, after
>all -- it was a prototype still in development.

hm... ok, but I noticed that even most headliners had to say at some
point: "crap" and restart a loop or so...
as a listener, I do not have a problem at all. its even a circus tradition
to do something wrong, to appear more human etc...
but "professionals" may conclude that its not suitable for big stages or
so?

> 2) Equipment setups tended to be smaller.
>
> Compared to past years, people used less equipment on stage.  This may
>be attributed to the difficulty to travel with equipment and perhaps a a
>trend to keep things simple to minimize setup time and to minimize the
>risk of glitches.

true! I think some are still to big for the task. its nice to have all
kinds of tricks and sounds available, but not quite necessary for half an
hour...

> 3) Looping tended to be simple, most of the time.
>
> While some people manipulated loops (i.e., reverse, stretch, etc) most
>of the loops ranged from 2 to 12 bars with an emphasis on overlaying
>sound.
>
> Either that or the loop mangling was so subtle and/or integrated into
>the performance that one didn't immediately notice it.
>
> Again, this reflects an approach that avoids too much complexity.

are you saying that it has become simpler compared to other years?
yes, maybe there was less impulse to show off fancy looping and more focus
on beauty and flux
> 5) The visuals!
>
> ... were awesome and really added a lot to the festivals.  Also, the
>visuals really complimented the music.  Thanks to the visual artists who
>put this together.

YES great videos!

> 6) Lots of laptops
>
> I didn't keep count, but it seemed the majority of performers utilize
>laptop computers.  The debate between the use of laptop computers and
>equipment that contains imbedded systems continues however may people
>appeared to use both (i.e., external boxes with laptop).

I had the impression that the majority did not run the main sound though
laptop. as you say, many used them as helpers.
I think it will become much more common to control things by touch screens
as Eric (Rasta) demonstrated nicely!

> In my own personal work, I tend to swing between simplicity and
>complexity -- trying to achieve some kind of balance.  I think as a
>community, we may do the same thing.  One of the fun things about such an
>event is to look at where we are as individual artists and where we are
>as a movement.

great!
I felt a lack of rap and beat boxing since (as you can confirm on
http://youtube.com/livelooping ) there are many of them and its one of the
most obvious use of livelooping. maybe due to the vibe (age?) of this
community they feel lesser at home?
Also, there are many singers/songwriters that use livelooping as an aid,
but I would agree to rather invite musicians that create new music with
looping than those that recreate the old kinds (with less musicians)