Re: @Bill, empty loop, or looperlative/EDP trick (composition?)

William Walker wrote:
>  I found this out by not being able to control my habit of double
> tapping, having not been raised on a sus command machine like the EDP,
> I've always  gotten used to replace being a function you had to punch in
> and out of,  and realizing I had just added two sus replace notes. So
> Andy am I to understand that you were the guy who conceived of  8th
> replace function on the EDP?

Well, Replace  was already in use and popular.
I certainly pushed for 8th Quantise in the EDP, and had the
idea, during loopIV development, that it would be nice if a single button
press neatly
Replaced just one chunk.
I also suggested the EDP behaviour that made that possible, although
that suggestion probably only got included by Matthias because it
was also a neat fix to a bug.

With apologies to those who heard it already, here's the first
ever track to be recorded using 8th Replace, back in 2003

http://www.andybutler.com/mp3/backwater.mp3

watch out for the use of loop windowing about 2mins into the track
to hear the eight beat loop suddenly change into an evolving 8 bar
sequence.

> For those just tuning in it  is the
> inspiration for the quantize replace feature on the Looperlative, and
> can also be found in Mobius and Matthias' new EvoLoop which i saw the
> prototype of and was really excited by.

Matt showed me the bits of it on Skype, very cool looking.

> So my question, can you set the
> EDP's 8th replace function to a variety of different beat divisions like
> you can on the LP-1?  I really love using this technique over an 12, 10
> or 9 beat subdivision, in addition to my most often used 16. The
> looperlative's ability to go as high as a subdivision of 128 makes it
> really interesting for crazy glitching over a short loop length.
> Bill

Sure, it depends on the 8th/Cycle setting.

It's also possible to use a related trick called
Cycle Quantised SUS Insert.
You tap in a single beat short loop, then each foot tap
increases the length of the loop by a beat.
That means when you're bored of 5/8 you just drop
in a couple more beats and go to 7/8.

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/andybutler/edp/tripwire.mp3

again, apologies for reposting that track (from 2004)

The thing I really like about these tricks is that
people take them and produce a result that is all their own.
Perhaps it's appropriate to see it as a compositional technique

Here's Rick Walker morphing a blast of noise into
something that sounds uncannily like a Hip Hop
track that was current at the time.(2008)

http://www.andybutler.com/mp3/Norfest08/RW-Intro.mp3

Rick's using a Looperlative there.

Other 8th replace users
Bernhard Wagner
Greg Poorman
Steve Lawson
Mark Francombe
Stephen Scott

andy butler
ps
and thanks to Bill for the excuse for writing this,
..more excellent music involving 8th replace here
http://www.youtube.com/user/BillWalkerGuitar