Getting Looping Gear through US Homeland Airport Security

I just went through the longest airport security
coming back from the PASIC convention (Percussion Arts Society)
in Indianapolis this past week.

After the de rigeur removal of shoes, belts, watches, cell phones, change
and removing my laptop from it's bag (my gear took up four of those plastic
grey bins) they stopped me on the other side and made me return my gear
through
the scanner again.    Then a security guard came out and made me
take my entire case apart and explain to him what each piece was.

The security guard was actually very nice and apologetic (and was
interested in
live looping) but it was such an amazing pain in the ass.

I somehow doubt that the Al Quaeda considers Indianapolis a prime target
either, but it's airport is the first American airport completed post 9/11
so it has state of the art security in place.

I've come to the place where I realize that my electronics rack
(replete with LP-1 looper, DTar mini-mixer, Shure wireless headphone
system, Midi Buddy midi pedals,  AKG C1000s and Shure Beta 58 microphones,
Shertler pickups and various and sundry AC chords and connecting cables
(XLR, line, insert cables, et. al.)  is just too valuable and vulnerable
to check so I have it in a rack case that will fit in the overheads so I
can
bring it on myself.

My big luggage has my instruments in it (and my Line 6 M9 and Boss PS-5
Pitch Shifter)
all surrounded by clothing.

I asked that it have a 'Fragile' sticker on it.

When I got it off the plane,  the 'Fragile' sticker was completely thrashes
from where the plane handlers had thrown the bag.

I watched them hurl it through the air on top of other luggage without
any regard.

Now they say that they may stop allowing carry on luggage.

Arrrrrrgggggghhhhhh,   I hope the traveller revolt starts soon.

Rick Walker