Re: Ricks Spotify link

Good point here, Andy.

Assuming that people are streaming complete albums (and perhaps that's a
whole other discussion - but me, I stream albums), then one should
divide the streaming figures by 10, the average track count per album.

Furthermore, if a person likes an album, they'll stream to it multiple
times. With a track download, or a cd sale, there is that one single
purchase. With streaming, you'll see revenue each time it's played, in
perpetuity (if that even exists with anything related to recorded music
or the 'Net). I use streaming services almost exclusively to listen to
music, and there are some albums I've listened to dozens of times, and
will keep doing so. I may not have approached 100 times very often -
with Rhapsody's one-US-cent-per-play model, assuming ten tracks per
album, it will take 100 album listens to reach the price of an album
download on iTunes - but over years, I may.

And of course, as with all virtual media, there is no cost associated
per unit, as with a physical CD.

Finally, I believe that as streams replace tracks, people will feel less
inclined to "steal" (I use that loosely) tracks through P2P or whatever,
and more inclined simply to listen on their choice of streaming service.
It's simply easier to search a catalog and play instantly than trolling
through the web, downloading, then playing. I remember seeing discussion
on Twitter from Zoe Keating and Matt Stevens (right, Matt?) about the
number of times their tracks had been downloaded through torrent sites,
it was quite stunning.

I do hope that Rhapsody's payout model, the highest of the streaming
services, wins out over Spotify. But that chance may be slim.

Daryl Shawn
www.swanwelder.com