Re: WHAT SORTS OF FIREWIRE INTEFACES ARE PEOPLE USING THESE DAYS?

Per Boysen wrote:

> But as a hand held stereo field recorder I think it is great! That's
> the use I dare to recommend the H4 for. Rather good fidelity as well
> with the built-in mics.

The H4n doesn't have the same mics as the nice ones in the H4 (and H2).
I specifically asked Zoom tech support about this, and they
were able to confirm that the new mics were "better".
They wouldn't reply when I asked what exactly was better about them.

The frequency response curves show the newer mics to have a less flat
response in the upper mid and high frequencies.

Not to criticise the H4n (and related Zooms) tho', I think it's
just some fluke that the H2/H4 mics turned out surprisingly good.

..sound samples here for a good selection of recorders, so no
need to take my word for it

http://www.wingfieldaudio.com/portable-recorder-sound-samples.html

> Before buying a H4 today I would compare its recording abilities with
> the iPhone.

seriously though

andy