Re: the 60's

I love complete honesty (even if it's sometimes brutal, or otherwise)
and speaking straight from the heart and with no BS. I do not agree
with 100% all of the original post, but most of it I do, especially
about the returning vets getting spit on. I was *very much* a very
young protester against this very unjust war (which most wars are,
regardless of the "official" reasons), but I did NOT condone anyone
spitting on or abusing returning vets (a couple of them that were
older, returning friends of mine, BTW) and also accusing them of
crimes that 99.9% of them probably did NOT commit, along with also
the fact that a LOT people got DRAFTED and a LOT of others had NO
better economic opportunities and / or easily attained higher
education opportunities choice left but TO sign up, or maybe turn to
crime. (think about many of those in the Black ghettos and in the
Latino barrios and poor Whites in Appalachia and all over elsewhere,
and Native Americans stuck on hell holes known as the "reservations
system"). This situation has been an economic reality in the USA
(and likely elsewhere) for a few decades and that has remained ever
since, and right on up to today. Sometimes makes me wonder if it is
all "planned" this way and only for the profits of a select few. (but
however, definitely for those profits of those select few, especially
the war profiteers). A good chance that it is. Thanx for yer post
here, Todd. It is another and different view that should be aired.
And BTW, I also happily and with zero regrets, indulged in and
reveled in the hedonistic joys and experiences of the (very late)
60's as a young teen. And also, not everyone who did so, and also
managed to get deferments, were from a wealthy privileged class. I
know for a personally experienced fact that a lot of them weren't.
Many of them just got lucky and never had their Draft numbers get
drawn and / or also managed to hold onto whatever crappy, slave wage
jobs they may have had. ( I had a few of those at the time) But, at
least they even had those jobs, which a lot of people today can't
seem to find and would sure want. (With a lot of "thanx" to all of
those greedy, "patriotic" American companies that have sent millions
of former good paying American jobs ELSEWHERE such as to China ,etc)
But, I also never lost awareness of the sufferings and injustices etc
that were foisted upon others, both here in the USA and elsewhere,
and usually due to no faults of their own.  Never.  'Nam was another
ugly chapter in American history and one that is being repeated today
in Afghanistan.
The big difference now is that the streets are no longer filled with
millions of people protesting that war in Afghanistan anymore.
There's reasons for this....

Best,
Rev. Fever