New software multi effect plugin, PSP N20

Hi,

A new toy for laptop aided musicians got released yesterday by the
good guys at PSP in Poland. I just downloaded the 14 days fully
working demo and watched all video tutorials and I must say this looks
very interesting for musicians that like the type of programming you
can do with boxes like the Eventide Eclipse or TC Electronics
FireworX.

It typically bases the processing on the signal chain concept where
modulators and operators may be inserted and controlled by pedals and
stuff or internal stuff like LFO, Step Sequencer, gain envelope etc. A
great feature (that I'm missing from the FireworX in today's
Mainstage) is that part the signal can be routed back into an earlier
stage of the same chain; ie a feedback loop. If running such a
feedback loop through a harmonizer you typically get those classic
wishy-washy eventide-ishy crystal sweeps. There is also a dual channel
step sequencer that can be used as modulator (for anything like pitch,
filter, reverb send or whatever you like...). Input gain can also be
used as an envelope for modulation, which is neat for all musicians
that play in real-time and want to program sounds that follow your
playing in a musical way.

Scaling of control data is something I like very much in Mainstage and
at first sight I was afraid that the N20 doesn't support that well,
but then I found out that you can insert a "gain operator" and assign
it to follow the same control as other effects of the patch, but with
its own value for "depth" (how much it will affect the patch). It
seems though that a graph is supported but not a curve, but I may be
wrong here (gotta noodle around with it more to find out)

I can't comment on fidelity right now, because I'm not at my studio
monitors, having to use headphones. But in the past I have been using
the PSP Nitro at concerts and found it excellent sounding. The N20
seems to be a

Here's an old teaser video from Namm 1010 that shows most of the
goodies in a general way:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQAlMa1_4Yk

And here's a page with ten detailed tutorial videos:
http://www.pspaudioware.com/plugins/multimode_effects/psp_n2o/psp_n2o_video/

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se