Re: Piano lessons advice (O.T.)

Since you already play guitar, you can play piano with a guitar in your
lap. (Not all the time---it's terrible posture but not that bad for an
exorcise if you situate it right.)

Now you can bounce back and fourth between the guitar and the piano,
finding the notes on one or the other in a sort of feedback loop.

Really, the guitar isn't even important... you can sing just as well (if
you can sing just as well. And if you can't, it's well worth the
practice.)

In either event you're training yourself to listen for THE SPACE BETWEEN
THE NOTES.

If I might generalize, guitar is more instinctual in it's layout and a
piano is more logical, but they are still both about the space between the
notes.

This may be the one time I disagree with Per but don't get stuck in C.
Yes, let it be home (to some necessary extent) at first, but don't get
stuck in it.

Since visualization came up, I'd like to stress (though I'm sure everyone
knows but it bares repeating) you can practice anywhere and at any time by
imagining the keyboard. Stuck in an elevator? Visualize the elevator
music. Start by identifying one phrase and then braking that up to how
much distance (how many frets or how many keys---you can do this
interchangeably) there is between two notes.

I find it easier to start with vertical light balls, like an elongated and
expanded traffic light, then morph that visually in my mind to fit a given
instrument.

Also, if you sacrifice a chicken on every 1st thursday and always play
with your left foot in the air while burning cinnamon scented candles
you'll be a virtuoso in no time! It's true! Forward this email to 10
friends and you'll be a rock star by your 3rd chicken sacrifice!

Oh, and finally, eschew obfuscation. That is to say, DO take a lesson or
two, as you need them, EARLY ON, from real people, in person for the
following reason: to break bad habits before they begin.  How you hold
your hand. When the thumb crosses over. Etc. You don't sound like you need
regular lessons, but a few of these, now and again as you go, will save
you time correcting bad habits later.

---Christopher