Re: should musicians have a second job?

It's hard to look at this objectively but as many have pointed out at least for those here in the States where we don't have socialized medicine, unless we are single and in a marriage that possibly our mate has a regular gig and can live with the other mate bringing in a range of income among other issues, it's just an impossible road to hold in this day/age in my opinion.  I think there was a time when I first decided that maybe there was an option for me to earn my keep with it but I really believe not to be dark but really believe those days have gone.

Others have stated the things I might say better so I won't wax on.  I think this is a tender subject on a personal level to all of us 'here' as well as just about any artist/musician/creative soul I've known.  It's like the line in one of the Power Ranger movies that I saw when my kids were younger.  They have gone to a strange planet trying to rescue one of their own.  They are met by a 'good witch' who tells them that the road is paved with many who have tried and failed at the task before them and beyond their quest.

Though I've danced with the desire ever since college, I think I only recently finally as a Will Ackerman song title from one of his best moments said, 'The Moment In Which You Must Finally Let Go of the Tether which has Held Your Hopes Airbourn' which for me relates to a feeling over the last year but truthfully probably since about 2006 as I was coming into this community, let go of  the 'carrot'.  The blessing in that is the other 'warm and fuzzy' one door closes, another opens thing and on a level from a creative standpoint I think I can say it did in that the music that I've been part of whether this community, another called ImprovFriday, the Chinapainting project with friend Daryl who brought me in to this community and just a feeling that more and more anything I create is going to be probably 'for me' and these days I believe that's a good thing.  In recent months I've become very charged about a new interest that I hope will pave a way for me sometime out of Corp America (my day gig) albeit at 55, that will happen all on it's own in soon coming years.

Man much too waxing, closing this I will say the opening para of the article I thought was a positive that being that the author is on a level asking our society to own the path of a musician on the same level that they 'respect' and 'pay' a doctor, lawyer, carpenter, as we used to say in Arkansas, 'Church of Christ preacher' or any other 'normal' line of adult work.  It's an honorable request.

Peace out as Mr D says...

Jim

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 2:55 PM, Matt Davignon <mattdavignon@gmail.com> wrote:
Yes, it was typo. Thanks for the clarification!

--
Matt Davignon
mattdavignon@gmail.com

--
From Brooklyn To Glindran, a new World/Free Jazz recording by Jim Goodin & Peter Thörn.  Proceeds
from the sale of this CD will benefit JDRF International.  jimgoodinpeterthorn.bandcamp.com.

woodandwiremusic.wordpress.com