Re: New from Vox - NAMM visitors, please check this out!

On Jan 14, 2011, at 7:22 AM, Rainer Straschill wrote:

> andy butler schrieb:
>> http://www.voxamps.com/pedals/vdl1/
> Now, you obviously picked the hottest new looper from the batch (sorry,
>Bob, but I think it is):
>
> From the description and the demos, I see the highlights as having:
>   a) both a pre-loop and a post-loop effect (the latter can be resampled)
>   b) undo AND redo
>   c) fading loop stop mode
>   d) two independent tracks
>
> On the downside: only mono, and no storage ('though the latter must not
>necessarily be considered a bad thing by us hardcore improvisation
>theorists).

Dual track loopers seem to be the thing this year. I think the RC-30 is
dual track as well.

There's probably a lot to be said for dual track in terms of potential for
keeping the UI simple though I don't know that any of these succeed in
that. My dual EDP setup for a couple years was essentially a dual-track
looper rather than stereo and that was without the benefits of really
having the tracks "know" about each other beyond sync.

That said, I've been sketching out my "ideal" looper based on the Line6
M13 as a form-factor. The design I'm gravitating toward has four pairs of
loops with only one loop at a time playing in each pair -- i.e., each pair
can be thought of like the EDP with MoreLoops set to 2. Still, my project
is purely academic since I haven't found a reasonably-priced, sufficiently
flexible controller at that price point and my ideal would actually put
the looping hardware in the box to make it portable. (The project started
as an effort to figure out what I would really want to achieve with the
LP1 since as we've observed on an earlier thread, it really expects the
user to configure it.) So, if someone made a really good dual-track,
stereo looper with undo available for each track, that could be a pretty
tempting compromise.

Mark