Re: Worth getting iPod touch for Live Looping only?

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 11:38 AM,  <buzap@gmx.net> wrote:
> I was wondering:
> I don't need the iPhone etc. But is it worth getting the iPod touch just
>to have a portable live looper always with you (Everyday Looper,
>VoiceJam)?

I would guess "no", but advice you to hold back for a couple of days
to see reviews coming out of the Alesis StudioDock Pro for iPad that
was just announced at NAMM. Those reports will tell how serious the
iPad actually can get with audio - after all, it is not built for CPU
demanding and timing critical applications like music.
http://www.slipperybrick.com/2011/01/alesis-studiodock-pro-for-ipad/

My bet is that the iPad will stay as the useful multi touch screen
control surface it already has proven to be. Then you need some hidden
away computer that does the actual processing. The wireless OSC based
connection is very useful with the iPad but right now there are no
looping software that supports OSC right of the bat. Logic does that
though, and I have just spent a couple of days writing a tutorial
article on OSC with Logic (Swedish only) and it is really cool I must
say. Work right away and you can use the iPhone for everything from
transport control to doing deeply into an EQ plugiin to adjust one
particular frequency band cutoff. I only have the iphone and you would
need an iPad to get serious with wireless OSC mixing because mixing is
like playing music, you need to instantly adjust several parts of the
music (tracks) at once and that many tracks doesn't fit on the iphone
screen. Gosh... this post grew by itself, got to stop here (I actually
wrote the part below before this but never mind, my brain has become
all fucked up by too much speed typing these days... it kind of
processes everything at the same time while typing is a linear
process.... funny but definitely a differetnt storuyd - now out of
here!!!!)

BTW, my old Ericsson mobile phone recently crapped out and I replaced
it with an iPhone4. What amazes me is that with an iPhone you can call
and text message for free by using certain apps like Viber and What's
Up. And - here comes my point - the Viber dev team says on their web
site that they will soon be releasing Viber for iPad as well. This
means you could use an iPad instead of an iphone for communication.
That would require Skype with a Skyp-Out account as well since Apple
have crippled the iPad to stop us from using them instead of iphone
(as usual they want us to buy all their gadgets ;-)  So that was kind
of cool to find out... if I had known I might have not picked up the
iphone but gone with the pad right away. Also, rumors has that a
generation two iPad is being wrapped up right now in the secret Apple
laboratories. More rumors telling it will have better looking screen
and good sounding built-in speakers. No rumors yet regarding USB 3
ports or digital audio ports, I guess that depends on whether its
processing power can handle live audio application.

Per