Re: Worth getting iPod touch for Live Looping only?

I haven't read this whole thread but I did want to mention the reason I bought an iPhone.  Pro Remote by Far Out Labs.  It is unbelievably incredible.  It sets up a Wireless MIDI server in AMS and connects to Pro Remote and uses the HUI protocol to control Pro Tools and Logic and Ableton Live and more.  I admit, it is a little pricy for an iPhone/iPad app, but it is priceless once you start using it.  Not only can I use a transport from the vocal booth to control my DAW and record myself with far less pain than before, even punch in/out and a SMPTE display.  But when an intern doesn't show up on time and you need to be setting levels on gear in the live room and simultaneously visually checking the meters in Pro Tools, the app starts to pay for it's self.  The point about this app that is most applicable to the topic is that it also has drum pads, an XY pad, and a cross fader that you can use to send wireless MIDI commands to plug-ins in your DAW.

And now that I have an iPhone, I find that I actually love using some of the other music apps.  Like Nano Studio and Everyday Looper, they're a blast.  And Novation even made a decent and very affordable Automap iPhone app, that can wirelessly control quite a bit.

---John M.