Re: stereo

Very fine words, and quite seldomly heard in these techonology-ridden conversations, thank Bill!

2011/1/23 William Walker <billwalker@baymoon.com>
It was my not my intent to diss the use of stereo, For crying out loud guys, I use stereo all the time, the recent recordings I've been doing are actually using two separate rigs in stereo recorded simultaneously. But when I do a gig , often times I am not offered the luxury of either a stereo house sound or stereo monitors. If I'm playing solo and bringing my stereo pa, I might be forced to aim on speaker out and on on the floor facing back at me.  In fact it has been my experience that stereo is usually the exception not the norm, in live sound systems. So what do I do now that I don't have my precious stereo security blanket?  I use different delays in series set to different beat values to create the illusion of strereo imaging. It may not fullfill all of you stereo experts ear candy needs but it works for me in real world situations where stereo is not available. Obviously if you always have the luxury of stereo when you play live this point is moot, but I don't .  Also I was getting at an underlying issue that I didn't really clarify but is something I've had on my mind recently, and that is I'm going through a personal reavaluation in my own life about what is really necessary to create music and what is not.  Over the summer I did  20  gigs with an RnB singer friend of mine where we had so little set space for gear that I could only bring one amp. Now for the last 10 years or so my live band rig has always included two tube amps, in stereo split from my fulltone chorus. But over the course of several gigs, though I missed the vox amp and its sublime tremolo, I realized it wasn't essential to playing well and having a good experience. I've had the same epiphany about loopers lately. My looping has been refined to fewer and fewer tracks and a new  acoustic duo project I'm putting together will have some looping, but it will probably be simplified to a pair of simple loopers (we'll be using 2 LP-2's for syncing to each other). The idea is that we will use loops very sparingly and concentrate I writing material that doesn't even need looping to be delivered. The overall feeling I have had , is that technology needs to take a backseat so that I can get back to what for me is  most essential , and that is writing good music.
Bill

--
Petri Lahtinen
http://www.petrilahtinen.com