Re: OT: a power question

Don't like the sound of "blowing" the unit!  Good to know, though, I'll hit a store before I go...

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 5:26 PM, Rainer Straschill <moinsound@googlemail.com> wrote:
Tom Swirly schrieb:

Second, both wireless units I'm looking at are actually DC powered with what looks like a typical AC/DC adaptor.  My other units that have comparable such adaptors are all 110/220V in practice!
What are the chances that the adaptor will actually work on 220V if I tried it?  I don't mind the chance of blowing the adaptor out, but I really don't want to blow the unit itself out!
If it's a standard AC/DC adaptor (meaning transformer followed by rectifier), then it will blow the unit. Unfortunately, most of the adaptors are this kind.
Here's what I did for my "international rig": I replaced all of the adaptors with SPS type ones which take both 220 and 110 - problem solved. You can usually get them at your local electronics store.

        Rainer

--
http://moinlabs.de
Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/moinlabs