SoftStep vs 1010

I'm trying to decide on which to buy: SoftStep or Behringer 1010. I plan on buying a MacBook Pro and run Mobius, Logic and Digital Performer on it. I'm hoping to create a very portable system, something I can carry on the train with a guitar and lute. Of course the SS is appealing because of the size and capabilities. The 1010 could be strapped to the guitar if need be, but smaller is better, I think, for portability. I just got the Korg Nano Kontrol, Pad & Key. These are obviously small enough.

My dilemma, and I cannot emphasize this enough, is I am patience-challenged and it is getting worse with age. I am struggling to learn Logic now, but it is not too terrible because it is, well, logical (and I have 25 years experience using Performer). I got pretty frustrated with the Boss RC-2, so that will give you an idea of my threshold. My question: Is the SoftStep ready for prime-time? There are so many appealing things about it, I want it to be a winner. However, from some of the reviews I've read and what Adam said, I'm afraid it might be a recipe for frustration for me. I'm just a beginner with looping.
TIA