Re: Soft Step real feedback please

[andy]
> > another question you should be asking is
> >
> > "does it work without a computer?"

[per]
> Isn't that what people mean by saying "the standalone version"? As I
> understood it this is said to be functional at some point in the
> future...

The way I understand it is that "standalone mode" means you don't have
to have their ginormous Max/MSP application running, but you are still
using a USB connetcion to a computer.  You use the big Max app to
design "scenes" that are then downloaded to the hardware.  Then the
hardware can send the desired MIDI without going through the software.
But this is still MIDI over USB into a computer.   This didn't work at first,
but now it does with some limitations.

They also have an added cost MIDI adapter dongle which supposedly
will let you use the SoftStep without a computer to send MIDI to other
hardware.  I'm assuming that you first have to set it up in standalone
mode, then you have to buy the MIDI dongle.  I haven't heard of anyone
that has this working, but I haven't been paying close attention.

Jeff