Re: Compressor-Sustain Pedal Advice Pigtronix OT

On Feb 6, 2011, at 7:04 PM, Mark Hamburg wrote:

On Feb 6, 2011, at 2:44 PM, William Walker wrote:

you talking expression pedals or the knobs themselves? again I say compression should be a subtle thing so to avoid the dreaded pumping turn up the input volume, turn down the sustain to between 9 and 10 oclock and bring the blend up to taste,  treble up full, unless your guitar is particularly bright.
 Ok so this brings us to the next issue, lets go out on a limb here and assume it was built in China, so the likely hood of a bad batch of components  potentially effecting an entire run of compressors (assuming its the same basic compressor board in both pigtronix models) is not only possible its quite high actually.  now I feel really guilty for having sung such high praises of this compressor. Yes I think its a better sounding compressor than most on the market but this is very discouraging to hear.

The compressor part on mine sounds great. I suspect my initial issues had more to do with over doing the compression, finding myself feeling alienated/distanced from the sound coming out of the monitors, and thinking that maybe it's just that I don't like compression. The grit control is something I'm still deciding about.

Mine is also the germanium model so I don't know how many components it shares with Andy's.

So, you can wait to feel guilty until mine develops hardware problems... (and even then I won't blame you since the reviews were all quite positive).

Upshot a week later. It's definitely staying on my board. Now, I'll just hope the build quality issues don't come to haunt me.

Mark