Re: 2045: The Year Man Becomes Immortal

I don't buy it. Computers work differently than the human mind. Speed them up as fast as you want, but you still won't have the human mind.

Years ago, I read a book (hah!) I think it was called "The Emperors New Mind." It's a good read on the differences between the human mind and computers.

The binary process that is the basis of computing does not approximate the associative capabilities of the human mind.

I'll add that extrapolating growth into the future is pretty much always wrong.

Artificial Intelligence has been a chief goal of computer science research for the past 20 years or more. The advances in AI during that time have been small. I have a friend who used to work at a game company. For the higest levels of the game, the computer opponent could "cheat" and make several moves a turn. That was the best approach they had to challenge skilled humans.