Re: Electro Harmonix Freeze - Sound Retainer

>Charles Zwicky wrote:
>>Andy,
>>  A reverb is not simply a "network of delays",
>
>...but your description below is *exactly* that.
>All the elements of it are composed of delays.

Perhaps to the uninformed it would appear that way... so when is a
"delay" not a delay?

When it's used to create an allpass.

The delays used in an allpass filter are typically very  short, and
measured in samples rather than mS...

>I didn't hear increasing phase dispersion in the EH examples,
>which would be the case if the sound was looping through an allpass,
>but maybe I just didn't hear it.

I'm not sure that you meant to write "phase dispersion"... Try to
think about the topolgy in a different way.   If the allpass network
is located after the loop, it would diffuse the signal but not cause
an increase in density with each repeat, as would be the case if the
AP filter were inside the loop.  This would also obscure the loop
points if there were enough AP filters in series.

http://www.zmix.net

http://www.esession.com/ChuckZwicky

http://albumcredits.com/zmix