Re: Sorting out the good stuff

i don't have a great answer, matt d's post that i just read, really did a good job explaining his methods.
i also remember from old david torn interviews that he uses a similar method (or did at least on the "oah"
album), the idea when he was improvising was to just let stuff flow, and then he would listen back and
pull out "the good stuff" as we're talking about.

if i remember, he generally would move the "good stuff" to computer programs, but he would also
add stuff to it, whatever was needed...i think he always said he thought of the improvised loops were
the base to his compositions....

i know for me, w/ using my new tascam dr03, i've been really enjoying listening to the stuff,
i need to sit down and document what's going on...i suppose this could be done easier w/ transfer
to computer, but i don't have a dedicated me/music computer...it's a family/shared one...
but as i have 6 files of stuff recorded so far, it's going to be hard to remember what was on file 2
at the 3 min mark...so documentation will be important.

i do know that i think the recordings sound good for me. the idea of just "hit record" and play
w/ no constraints is sort of liberating....they feel looser (after i get going). i've felt that it's some
of my best loop stuff i've done in awhile-all mostly done w/ my dl8, short loops...although i've done
a few things w/ my new (for me) boss sp303...which i do love also....
i may have to read the manual of that, and figure out the sequencer in it! (ha!).

i think certainly one good approach is to be able to step away from stuff, listen to it after a period of time,
which is the same stuff that is recommended w/ writing or working on paintings...diving in immediately
at times you are too connected to it....having fresh ears and really deciding what is the best can be hard...

and certainly for me, i've only got probably 45 min of material recorded in 3 days....no idea how you would
tackle HUNDREDS OF HRS of stuff, from a yrs worth of material....that would be a challenge....
s---