Re: Electro Harmonix Freeze - Sound Retainer

On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 7:52 PM, E Gross <slapbandjam@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Thanks, the FV-1 looks cool.
>
> I am on PC, maybe software-only would be better as a starting point, can
>you
> give a suggestion?

Many so called tape delay simulator plugins can do that. Just assign a
kick switch or expression pedal to its feedback parameter and trim the
values to make the freeze work. After trying many I have settled with
the software plugin for this is EchoBoy from SoundToys. There is also
the reverb plugin Eos that has an "Infinite" button that you can
assign to your foot pedal. But I can't recommend Eos because it gives
an audible click noise if going into or out of freeze mode as audio
passes through the plugin. Another reason I like EchoBoy better is
that it doesn't really freeze audio in the technical sense, it simple
keeps a loop at 99 percent feedback and from this comes that the
fidelity slowly degrades during "freeze time" and I like that effect a
lot. Oh, and of course you have to set up a signal routing to pass by
the EchoBoy during its "freeze time".

Best wishes