was:tape delay plug ins, now user reviews

These are exactly the kinds of user reviews that i find suspect,  the
first one sounds like someone who has little patience and even less skill
with a computer.  And who knows how well this person manages their ram,
cpu usage, or how optimized for music performance their computer is, i.e.
how many none music related programs are they running that is dragging
down their machine. and the second review ......any kind of dongle type
lap
top add on is vulnerable to getting wacked, its the nature of the beast
and one  reason I haven't gone lap top yet, its such a ridiculously
vulnerable platform in that regard. drop a lap top on a concrete floor and
there is a strong likelihood its toast.
 I'm sorry Louie but these kinds of responses reinforce my
feeling that a little knowledge is dangerous. And that consumers often
have a tendency these days to fly off the handle when they can't get there
new toys to work properly. I have worked both in music retail and
manufacturing long enough to realize that 95% of these kinds of issues are
related to pilot error, not the product. From my own personal experience
most of my computer related problems come from my own lack of knowledge of
the platform not the platform itself.
 Another part of the equation has to do with
leading edge technology, and compatibility issues with trailing edge
computers. If you want to play it safe, wait a few months for the bugs to
get ironed out and compatibility issues are resolved . My windows based,
mainframe computer at home has no problem with my UAD card, but its a card
not a dongle and is internally mounted. As i mentioned before,I know the
guys at UA, they are not in
the business of making inferior products, they actually give a shit about
things like quality control and ease of use. I think the point I was
making is that user reviews cannot always be counted on to be subjective
or even rational. How else do you account for the common occurrence I see
on sites like Harmony central where several glowing reviews are followed
by some angry trashing review, where someone disses a product that
everyone else is heralding. I saw one once where the guy talked shit about
a product and only at the end of the review did he admit he had dropped
the product on concrete and broke it. Another thing that happens on these
site is rival manufacturers will plant bogus negative reviews , after all
there is no over sight on sites like this to prevent them from doing so.
I've seen a number of negative reviews on HC  written by a guy named
anonymous :-) I just don't trust user reviews unless its from people I
know and respect or the positive reviews far out number the negative.
And
to be candid I don't shop on Amazon, unless its absolutely the only
choice.  I don't believe in them as a company and they tend to be a
clearing house for overstock or folding businesses anyway so you are
rarely sure if the warranty
issues will be covered. BTW any price you see below MAP on Amazon is a
vendor who is in violation of the manufacturers MAP policy and there is a
good chance you can't get warranty coverage if something malfunctions.. If
price is your only
consideration, go for it and shop Amazon, but buyer beware......
 good luck
 Bill