Re: Ableton/Mobius consulting gig

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 8:54 AM,  <antonyhequet@yahoo.com> wrote:
> actually,
> can you run Mobius and Ableton in parallel?
> Antony Hequet

Yes, but you need to connect Live's output to Mobius input in some
way. I looked into this a couple of years ago - not with Live though
but with Mainstage (just another host app). The reason for me to run
them in parallel was that Mainstage only works on Mac and there was no
AU plugin version of Mobius for Mac. First I tried "virtual audio
cables" to connect the two applications; Soundflower and Jack. None of
them could keep the timing right, because the latency in those
utilities changes depending on what the computer is processing,
meaning there was no accurate latency figure to set up Mobius to
compensate for. I finally solved the parallel setup by simply patching
two cables into my audio interface. The point in doing so is that
DA/AD conversion related latency always has a fixed number (that can
effectively be compensated for). Output carries Live/Mainstage 1-2 and
goes to PA, output 3-4 is the Mobius loop output and this is patched
into input 3-4 (other inputs needed for instrument input) that is set
(in the audio interface) to merge into the audio interface output 1-2.
Now, cabling out audio and back into the system like that give some 40
ms latency and I carefully trimmed Mobius to comepensate for that, by
moving new audio a bit further in the loop. Such latency compensation
is totally transparent since the looper has all the loop duration's
time to get the job done. I used that rig for more than a year;
daisy-chained Mainstage + Mobius standalone.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se
www.perboysen.com