Re: POT - Excellent review of The Sense of Time [free download]

Congratz and thanks for sharing your EP !

-f
www.eterogeneo.com

2011/3/30 Sjaak Overgaauw <tcplugin@gmail.com>
POT = Partly of topic.....but this review contains the words "live
looping" ;-) Anyway, I'm very happy with it, looks like I've found the
right direction with the Premonition Factory project and we have to
celebrate it. I've created a special Premonition Factory EP with 4
tracks which you can download for free. Track 1 and 2 are from the
album "59 Airplanes waiting for New York", track 3 and 4 are from the
new album "The Sense of Time". Enjoy :)

1. To those worthy of honour 05:44
2. 59 Airplanes waiting for New York 06:58
3. The sense of time 07:12
4. Dream within a dream 05:49

Download link =
http://premonitionfactory.bandcamp.com/album/ep-promo-tracks-free

Enjoy! :)

---
I was really excited when I found the new Premonition Factory album in
my mailbox a few weeks ago. The first album, 59 Airplanes Waiting for
New York, was warmly received here, so then there’s always some
pleasant anticipation for whatever follows after. The anticipation
changed into profound joy, because this is an extremely fine ambient
album that is immediately pleasant to listen to, with loads of deeper
layers to discover after multiple rounds.

The basics remain the same: Sjaak Overgaauw, the Dutchman in Flanders
who is behind the project, uses live looping techniques on synth to
build his layered ambient sounds, and these recorded improvisations
make up the music on his albums and shows. Compared to the last album,
however, the sound on The Sense of Time is thoroughly refined,
seamlessly blending layers of soft synth waves, drones, piano
melodies, and some rhythm here and there.

The atmosphere of Premonition Factory I would describe as abstract
ambient: not necessarily reproducing or referring to elements in the
real world, but acting as pure soundforms, and direct aural emotion.
That Overgaauw is able to find a perfect balance in these emotions is
evident here. Darker musical visions can be found on tracks like
“Chasing the Unknown” and “Magic Box”, while bright calm material
features prominently in the gentle opener and the piano-based
“Mediate”. One of the big surprises and obvious highlights of this
album is the title track with its excellent glitchy rhythmic work, but
for the absolute peak of the album is “Darkest Hour Pt. 2″, a
deceptively minimalist track with a melodic progression that brings
tears to my eyes every time I hear it. Not because it reminds me of
anything emotional, but simply because of the pure emotion coming from
the music itself. It is a calmly moving piece that has quickly found
its way into my all time favourite ambient tracks.

So, there. Heaps of deserved praise for an album that proves you don’t
need to be innovative if you’re just damn good. I’m not going to waste
time by listing ambient giants that have gone before and obviously
inspired this music. Where some artists impress by pushing musical
boundaries and experimenting, Overgaauw achieves equally stunning
results by mastering a tradition and refining it. Here’s to the next
one!

--
Sjaak Overgaauw
http://premonitionfactory.com/