pigtronix echolution....

rainer,et al....yes the discussion about the pds8000, i've never had one, just heard the results and watched some vids (the bill frisell demo of it is AMAZING!)
i wish digitech would re-release that. i don't think the super jamman new version is anything close.
if you watch what bill frisell does to demo it, it's a very unique pedal-w/ the varispeed options and he was able to do w/ it.
the thing i think made it unique was it seems like an instrument in itself that you can manipulate. to me most new loopers seem so set on giving you hrs & hrs of static
recording time, which just bores me. why i really ended up not liking the boss rc20-i like to play and manipulate...

and that's why i love the echolution too--the ability to manipulate the time w/ varispeed (similar to what david torn demo'd w/ his lexicon pcm 42 back in his
painting w/ guitar vid from early 90s)--i'm not sure if the echolution is a pcm42 or a pds8000 killer/replacement-more of an option that gets close to some things
those units would do.

i'll try to answer some of your ?s....if i can....

1. price: yes, it's a $400+ delay pedal-that puts it out of the range for many. i got mine for a bit less, but it's still the most expensive pedal i've ever bought (and i 'm cheap!)
but i do still love it!!! but yes, the timebender is cheaper than it (but for me it's WAY BETTER than the timebender). price wise it's close to the eventide timefactor-which i considered (used of course) also....

2 "maximum delay time in tap tempo mode is 20 seconds". --i'll have to go through the manual closer-i haven't tried the non modulated stuff much yet, and haven't played w/ the tap tempo function to get 20 sec....i'm loving the 12 sec and messing w/ it TOO MUCH.

3. delay time again: i've certainly used lots of short delays for modulation of time: the boss dd7, digitech dl8, guyatone md3 and ibanez de7 -all work really well for this,
it's just the delay time is shorter usually 2-3 some seconds---i certainly for a long time would use short delays and dump the manipulation stuff to some sampler....heck i still
have that option-i still have a boss sp303 in my setup.....

4. yes, no midi. that doesn't bother me. i still don't know what that is honestly. i'm dumb and lazy!

5. looping: the description of the loop switch has this statement in the
manual: "Although the Echolution can be used as a stand-alone loop
machine, you will get better results by this function in combination
with a dedicated looping device." - Say what?  OK-THIS FUNCTION-I LOVE THE LOOP SWITCH, BUT YOU KNOW WHAT I THINK THEY ARE SAYING:
I THINK THEY ARE ADMITTING THAT THIS IS NOT MEANT TO BE ANY TYPE OF UBER LOOPER THAT EVERYONE WANTS. YOU WANT MY HONEST OPINION-
I THINK THIS THING IS A HYBRID OF ANALOG CONTROL W/ SOME DIGITAL STUFF THAT BASICALLY SEEMS TO MODEL AN ECHOPLEX (THE OLD ONES THAT
USE TAPE)-THE DELAYS CERTAINLY HAVE THAT ECHO FLAVOR. THERE IS EVEN A HIGH END ROLLOFF, THERE IS A DRIVE CONTROL (REMEMBER NUMEROUS PEOPLE WHO USED OLD ECHOPLEXS TO GIVE A GAIN PUSH? EVH WAS ONE!!!  & THEN THERE IS THE TAP OPTIONS-WHICH IS LIKE PUTTING IN A RECORD HEAD TO GIVE THE RHYTHMIC STUFF (JUST MORE FLEXABLE ON THIS) AND HONESTLY W/ THE USE OF THE LOOPING ASPECT IN THE MODULATED
12SEC  RANGE-TO ME IT SOUNDS LIKE A BETTER VERSION OF MY TASCAM 4 TRACK THAT I USED AS A MAKESHIFT LOOPER-IT BASICALLY CREATES SORT OF
EASY TAPE LOOPS-THAT'S THE SOUND I'M HEARING-IT'S NOT PRISTINE REPEATS LIKE CLASSIC DIGITAL DELAYS. AND I HONESTLY LOVE THIS.

AGAIN, I NEED TO MESS W/ THE NON-MODULATED DELAYS TO SEE HOW THEY WORK W/ THE TAP TEMPO. BUT THIS IS HOW I SEE THIS THING, IT'S BIG FOR A PEDAL, BUT NOT AS BIG AS THE OLD ORIGINAL ECHOPLEXS, AND OBVIOUSLY THERE'S NO TAPE TO WEAR OUT. (PARTS OF THIS ALSO REMINDS ME OF THE STRYMON TAPE DELAY PEDAL...NOT AS EXACT, BUT SIMILAR)

6. reverse: --THE REVERSE IS A DECENT FUNCTION-IT DOES DO LONGER REVERSES BUT INTERACTS W/ THE BLEND KNOB. I HAVEN'T MESSED W/ IT AS MUCH. I THINK IT WILL GIVE YOU LONG REVERSE DELAYS, BUT NEED TO MESS W/ IT MORE. IT'S BETTER THEN MY DIGITECH DL8 IN REVERSE,
I STILL DO THINK THAT THE TC ELECTRONIC FLASHBACK HAD A GREAT REVERSE MODE....

I'M NOT SURE IF I'VE DONE A GREAT JOB OF DESCRIBING THIS PEDAL. I'D SAY WATCH SOME OF THE YOUTUBE VIDS, WHICH IS WHAT I DID. THERE WAS ONE OF SOMEONE USING THIS W/ AN OLD ROLAND DR-55 DRUM MACHINE. MAN I THOUGHT THAT WAS COOL....
I ALSO THOUGHT THE TIMEFACTOR WAS A COOL PEDAL TOO. IN THE END I JUST HAD TO MAKE A DECISION, B/C I HAD THE $$$, AND I WENT  W/ THIS.
IT WORKS FOR ME.
IF YOU ABSOLUTELY NEED MANY MINUTES OR HRS OF LOOPING TIME TO DO THE JOB, THEN THIS IS PROBABLY NOT FOR YOU....
S---