Re: Ukulele Loop Dreams was looping on npr

Nice clip!  inspiring.

> Our own Daniel Thomas (a very accomplished
>guitarist/multi-instrumentalist)
> once told me that he thinks he learned more about harmony from playing a
>ukulele than by all of
> his guitar playing because of the fact that you have the ability to fret
>all four strings simultaneously.

The thing that was most enlightening for me about the Ukelele is that,
with only four strings, you strip harmony right down to its most
fundamental elements.  Allowing only four notes, the uke forces guitarists
to master four note chord voicings ..one finger to a note.  These voicings
seldom involve a barre and as such, they allow for super controlled note
envelopes on each string (Hard to do with Barre).  Mastering four note
voicing on the UKE really made me much more savvy with respect to note
choice (why have three Fundamentals ringing?) and note duration.  I am
cleaner and more potent harmonic player for it.