Re: OT: Moog lap steel

On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 1:42 PM, Gareth Whittock
<buddhamachine@live.co.uk> wrote:
> I remember reading about Carlos Santana walking round stage during the
> soundcheck and marking the stage with some gaffa tape where he could get
> sustained feedback.
> Don't know if this is apocryphal though.

Probably authentic, cause this is the best way you can prepare for
playing with acoustic feedback on stage. And in the studio...  well,
actually it works even better in the studio because acoustics won't
change with an entering audience. The acoustic feedback hotspots you
mark up in the room will stay the same during recording.

Measuring feedback spots on stage and mark them out with tape on the
floor is the safe and scientific method.If you forget to do this
preparation at the sound check you can always try "Plan B", the more
powerful but less reliable method successfully practiced by Hendrix
and Townshend: seeking a close encounter with the speaker cones. This
can turn out expensive though.

The best guitars I have owned for acoustic feedback have all been old
and built of rather light wood. Like the late fifties SG junior model
(mahogany). If using a hollowbody guitar the feedback process evolves
too fast (for my taste) for musical application. And if using a modern
"long sustain" type of guitar you may have difficulties playing
musically with the acoustic feedback because it evolves too slowly, or
might not occur at all. That's quite funny; the guitars that are less
good for "the never ending Santana tone"  is marketed as "having more
sustain". A typical hoax based on measuring guitar tone from materia
and meeters rather than musicianship. Acoustic feedback is a very
organic process. The Sustainiac C clamp on vibrator gadget is close to
the real thing and I think you can learn playing acu feedback quite
well from using it when practicing (a bit more neighbor friendly).

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se
www.perboysen.com