Re: portable PA for electronic looper

consider these (i'm using):

http://www.roland.com/products/en/CM-30/

for gallery, low gain gigs they sound phenomenal. more low end than tiny mackies, equal power. and you have a built in mixer on them.

2011/4/25 Per Boysen <perboysen@gmail.com>
I don't own a small PA (yet) and rely on what they have or what they
can rent in for the gig. The typical "good enough" system is the basic
small Mackie system; a mixer (not necessary for a laptop loopist rig,
but you always get a mixer anyway when renting a PA), two mid/treble
satellite speakers on a high stands (important to adjust them above
people's heads to prevent the folks at the end of the saloon to hear
less treble, due to other guy's heads masking) and one sub bass
module. I've found such a typical rental Mackie system working well
for guitar, stick, flute or sax material. The low bass is very
important because I do a lot of sub bass "substitute stuff" (scripting
up one octave, substituting a short slice of audio in the loop before
finally transposing back into normal pitch and having the new slices
play back way-below). I always keep a low cut filter at 40 Hz to not
blow rented speakers and with that setup you achieve a massive low end
even with just one Mackie sub.

If I go pro in the future with live gigging I may look into a Bose,
abused into stereo (as they actually are designed for mono) by two
towers and one or two subs. Good thing with Bose is the extreme
portability and good sound for every spot in the audience when playing
gigs in small rooms (since they don't send much sound upwards or
downwards to bounce back from the ceiling and floor and interfere with
the direct sound). But you need a future income plan to pick up the
Bose system, it's not a very economic one gig solution.

Powered studio monitors have always failed me when I have been set up
to perform on such a system. A PA seems better for live playing, even
though studio monitors "look better sounding" by paper specification.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se
www.perboysen.com