Re: portable PA for electronic looper

My wife has been hankering for quite some time for a very small output
device to play music while teaching class.  She teaches at several colleges
in the SoCal area, teaching a wide variety of dance and movement oriented
classes.  Although there is often a PA system in the classroom, sometimes
there's not, and she needs to bring something along.  She's gone through
several iterations of 'boom boxes' and has always struggled for something
small, lightweight, portable, sounds good, and is able to take some abuse
while being packed and moved.  And she's a major Techophobe, so it has to
be
simple and direct.

We've been migrating her away from CD's to the iPod over the last couple of
years, which has allowed her to carry fewer binders full of discs.  Now
that
she just has a 1/8" mini jack to contend with....what to connect it to?

Due to this dilemma, and the recent input from this thread, I went
yesterday
and bought two items.  #1 was the Roland Cube Street, the battery powered
'busker' type unit, and the more straightforward Roland CM-30 'monitor'.
I've been looking at the Cube Street for some time, and the CM-30 I saw
mentioned here.  I was going to try both and return the one I didn't
want....or both...for that matter, if we weren't happy with either.

WOW.  The CM-30 absolutely CRANKS.

Although the Cube Street is interesting for battery operation, we don't
really need the amp modelling, and there's no master volume or eq for the
mini jack input (you have to control it from the iPod).  And it didn't hold
a candle to the CM-30, sound wise.

On the CM-30, you get 3 channels, one of which has a mic/xlr input, which
she will plug in here wireless headset receiver.  One of two Aux ins (RCA
and 1/8") will take her iPod input.  There is a global bass and treble EQ
and a master volume to control the 3 input channels and the two Aux in
channels.

With mixed program material coming from the iPod, being played mono through
this system, it was incredibly clear, punchy and LOUD!

Earlier in the day, I plugged in my pedalboard into it and got really
satisfactory results for guitar tone and drum machine sounds.  Since the
CM-30 can stereo 'link' to another unit, I can't see how this wouldn't be a
kick ass solution for anyone wanting a big, full sound.  If you were using
mixer to send sound, two of these things with the XLR inputs would be great
for sending a balanced signal to each CM-30.  You'd have a 60 watt mini PA
in the size of two lunchboxes.

Seriously, this thing bumps.
Let the honeymoon begin.

Rich