Re: EDP + repeater?

On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 8:53 AM, marcus kirby <marcusloops@gmail.com> wrote:
> Does anyone use a mixture of the edp and repeater?

Yes, for a couple of years I used one EDP as the sync master and a
Repeater as the sync slave. A third slaving device I had in that mixer
rack was the beat sync filter bank Akai MFC42. I too used the same
trick as Mark mentioned, making an empty loop first in the Repeater
and then overdubbing into it (I do that today as well with Mobius when
looping the same way in a laptop). There was another issue to look out
for with the Repeater and that is to start off at a too fast tempo,
then it simply can't process audio in time. But I found out that it
hooks up at half tempo, so even if you can't overdub etc on the
Repeater for the rest of that piece it won't drift totally off beat.

Here is a "shortcoming" in the Repeater that I liked a lot: When
changing tempo, if for example you make a lop in the EDP and truncated
it down to 75 percent of the original length the new tempo is
immediately sent to the Repeater but it doesn't dig in on the new
tempo right away. It sort of accelerates with an accelerando until it
hooks up with the EDP's new faster loop tempo. That is because the
Repeater needs its precious time to make new calculations to time
stretch the loop for the new tempo. It can sound really cool if
cutting the EDP loop into a new time measure and having the Repeter
slowly catch up with the old loop being speeded up.

> I would use the repeater for looping vocals, and re-sampling my guitar
> loops.

Should work fine that way.

> The repeater has multiple tracks that can be faded in/out, right? Also,
> how are you controlling it?
The Repeater plays one loop made up by four tracks. You can do a lot
of cool sound design tricks by recording into two tracks "as stereo"
and split them up into two mono tracks and then slip one of them in
time by an eighth note or whatever fits.

> Maybe use a midi controller to adjust parameters?
Yes, the Repeater has a MIDI implementation, but it is fixed so you
need to use a MIDI controller that is programmable. But I think the
Repeater's front panel controls can take you quite far as well.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se
www.perboysen.com