Re: Boomerang III quick review

I agree with you Mark. When I had the Boomerang that's the one thing that
really bothered me. You can't go straight into overdub after you finish
the first loop. You can can tap the stack button before the loop end point
(If you created a short loop on loop3 to set the tempo) but it is too much
tap dancing or at least my music suffered when I'm quickly trying to press
stack and play my instrument. Would be nice if you could set it up to go
straight into stack mode after establishing the loop. I also noticed that
if I left it in stack mode and switched between loops1-3 I would get
clicks and pops. This was even if I wasn't playing anything on my
instrument. I solved both of these issues by using Mobius in software land
but then I gained all the issues of using a computer:) Would be pretty
awesome if these things could be worked out on the boomerang. It would be
a perfect compact looper for my serial style looping.
On Jun 11, 2011, at 2:40 PM, Mark Hamburg wrote:

> I've been playing with Boomerang III for a little over an hour now, so
> this is not a terribly deep review.
>
> The size and build of the thing are great. The switches are really nice.
> 3 stereo loops with a lot of playing styles is fun and it's easy to
> start thinking in terms of song structures using the various serial loop
> options. It's nice to have all of the key knobs for things like loop
> volume and decay (feedback) on the front panel.
>
> I haven't really been able to evaluate sound quality in depth. It
> doesn't seem to have obvious problems. I'm not loving it's octave down
> as much as the Line6 looper's. I'm not sure why. It may just be the
> material I put in, but it sounded a bit thinner than I expected. Maybe
> I'm just not in an octave down mood this morning.
>
> It does so much that the bonus buttons only access part of the
> functionality and can feel a little overloaded. The forthcoming sidecar
> may make that better though it won't be as compact then. Even so, I
> found it pretty easy to get around after skimming the manual (and it
> comes with a reasonable configuration out of the box, so you don't
> really have to read that much of the manual in order to get going).
>
> And now for the one real annoyance... If you want to record seamless
> loops, you really want a way to go straight into overdub (stack on the
> Boomerang) when recording. You can do this, but it's a bit of a foot
> dance at the very time you are potentially trying to focus on what you
> are playing. This is much easier on the Line6 loopers, the Looperlative,
> and the EDP.
>
> Did I mention how compact this thing is for the amount it does?
>
> Mark

Todd Matthews
toddbass.com
twitter: gtodd876