Re: Something I just wanted to share with everyone

I don't think it is something to be frustrated by though. Maybe I make the
wrong assumption that everybody understands that the music business is a
business. If hot babes on the cover sells more records and makes more
money for the business you can't blame them. In my opinion if it makes you
mad, it's related to jealously. Otherwise, why would it affect you in such
a way?

If you don't want your music to be associated with making money, then
don't. Play shows for free. Play in room and tape it. Enjoy making music
for music's sake....... but then you need to accept the fact that you are
going to have a  zero profile because you are only one person and not a
business that has a PR and marketing division. Your music isn't going to
magically hop into the mind space of millions of people. Of course the
exception is if you make the next viral you tube video that gets millions
of hits:) but you should be happy making music for yourself/family and
friends if that's what your doing it for.... Wait, why are doing it?
What's the point? Do you have something to say and you want lots of people
to hear it. You'r trying to get paid doing something you love? Your trying
to impress the local ladies/dudes? Why? Then once you've figured that out,
make a plan to go for that goal and enjoy the journey.

The reasons everybody has heard of U2 and not the local artist is the
teams of people working full time jobs on their marketing and public
relations over a long period of time. The more money a business can bring
in the more money they can allocate to public relations and marketing.

So what, if at a U2 event, that most people are socializing? It seems so
snobby sometimes people dis the big names, saying it's not about the
music. It is a business that makes music for money. And the reason you are
discussing them, even if its for negative reasons, is because they were
very successful at their business. They bought a ticket and they should be
able to do whatever the hell they want while they are at a concert.
Especially at a stadium rock concert. How could that not be a massive
social event? The people definitely shouldn't have to follow my/your
directions on how to properly attend a concert. Who am I to dictate what
good/bad? We just have our opinions. That really does take the focus away
from the music. Whether they have 1 fan or a million fans, you either like
the music or you don't. Otherwise your focusing on other aspects than the
music which is what those people are usually spouting off that they are
mad about.(business/marketing - aspects)

At the end of the day you will be permanently frustrated, if by the fact,
that you can't make people have the same opinion as you or because the
majority of people out there are buying records or going to concerts that
you don't like. If you like U2, fine, if you don't, that's fine too but if
you let it bother you that, for example, you hate Lady Gaga, but millions
of other people love her, then your doomed to be mad dude because you can
only control your own opinions and actions. If you like to listen some
really out shit and there's only two people at the show at the local pub
watching with you.... then who cares that there is only two people there!!
You should be enjoying the music you came to see and that the end of it.
Unless you're worried that what you like, might be the wrong thing, and
you need lots of people at the show to help validate your opinion........

If your about true art then go see your local symphony play or go see some
good jazz. Learn all about the language of music so you can listen with
trained ears. Rock music or live looping isn't even in the same universe
as a Mahler symphony. Popular music is about fun and I love Led
Zeppelin(business) just as well as my Mahler(art composer)that I love for
it's true art :)

And that's my opinion. I'm sure people will completely disagree and I
think that's the point I was striving for. (except I just ended up
blabbing) I think we should be ok with the fact that we are all different
and not put energy into striving that people have the same opinion I do.
For clarification this email isn't directed at anybody. I just felt like
sharing my thoughts as well.

Thanks for video Jason. I enjoyed hearing your thoughts,

Todd

On Jun 14, 2011, at 8:26 AM, Per Boysen wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 2:08 PM, andy butler <akbutler@tiscali.co.uk>
> wrote:
>> I agree with Brian Eno that "big gigs" are a social
>> event rather than a music event.
>
> So true! Well put by Eno. Thanks for telling!
>
> Another thing musicians like us tend to forget about is that for many
> - maybe the majority - listening to music is not an exploring
> adventure but rather a shortcut to define one's self image in a social
> context.
>
> "Sad facts of life..." as a record label talent scout once said when
> discussing the sales improvements to be expected from using an album
> cover photo that in some way includes a "hot babe". ;-)
>
> Greetings from Sweden
>
> Per Boysen
> www.boysen.se
> www.perboysen.com