Re: Something I just wanted to share with everyone

I'm just picking up on this thread mid-stream, so forgive me if i missed something.

James...you are welcome to your opinion.  But if you so easily dismiss a legitimate band with a huge catalog of work and a long successful career into a "sucks" category, then I'm sure you're up to the task of having bands you like and respect put into the "sucks" category by others.  Since it's all just opinions and personal taste, anyway?

Any big, successful bands that you like?

I don't listen to U2 much anymore.  I was very much into their early work, all the way up to Unforgettable Fire.  At that point, I was already a BIG Eno fan, so when I heard he was going to be involved with that record, I awaited it's release eagerly, and wasn't disappointed.  I think that album is a high point of their body of work, and remains my favorite of their entire catalog.  Following that, their path to superstardom began, and I was moving into more obscure tastes at the time, so I slowly stopped following and listening to them.

However, I do have a large amount of respect for them, beyond just their output and success.

If you haven't seen it yet, I would recommend seeing "It Might Get Loud", where U2's Edge pairs up with Jimmy Page of Zeppelin, and Jack White of White Stripes/Raconteurs/Dead Weather.  I think it's a highly entertaining and informative film that allows the audience to see into the method and mindset of each guitar player and how they approach the instrument.

Just based on that film alone, I think I would be hard pressed to put Edge into anything remotely resembling "sucking".  When you hear Jimmy Page, YOU KNOW it's Jimmy Page, from the first couple of chords.  The same goes for Jack White.  These players have forged a signature sound that is ALL THEIR OWN.  Others can mimic it, but the original sound resides with these players.  Edge is no different.  I think that if a self taught, 'punk rock' school of thought type of player like Edge can forge and refine his own sound to the point that it is instantly recognizable, that is a HUGE feat and in no way "sucks", even if you don't like the music much, or if it doesn't connect to you.

Also, I had the opportunity to meet Bono, in 1987 while they were on tour for The Joshua Tree.  Bono was, at the time, very involved with Amnesty International (another good reason to keep them out of the 'suck' pile, IMO) and was very interested in Central and South American issues.  My boss was a Chilean exile, who went through a lot of hell and barely escaped with his life during the Pinochet coup.  Long story short, we got to go meet Bono during an interview Q&A.  He said one thing towards the end of the interview that struck me to this day.  He said he wanted to write songs and make music that had the same sense of urgency and strength for HIS generation, that "My Generation" by The Who had for that generation.  An anthem, that people connected to and resonated with on a visceral level.  He felt compelled to work towards this goal.

OK....this is 1987.  They're already rock stars and have 'Sunday Bloody Sunday', 'Gloria' and 'Pride' under their belts...and he's still hungry to write something stronger?

Now fast forward to present and look at the body of work they've produced?

Sheesh...

I may not be into them much these days, but "suck"?  Sorry, I'm not that bitter.  There is a smorgasbord of bands that suck much more than those boys.

just my opinion...

Rich