Re: questions for loopers

1) what aspects of looping do you enjoy the most?

The continual surprise and disappointment of being on the front edge of innovation.

I love it when the looping device interacts with me like a real musician--surprising me and spurring my own improvisation.
I hate it when the cable shorts, the computer crashes, the squealing feedback gets recorded in the loop, and any of a thousand other ways that looping can really belly flop an artist.

2) what aspects of looping do you enjoy the least?

Don't we all hate schlepping gear to the gig but love seeing it set up cleverly under lights?     Don't we all loath the programming of controllers  (pick your control nightmare) but love the excitement of a new workflow?

3) what looping tools (including controllers) do you currently
use/have used in the past?

Line 6 DL4
Line 6 M13
Lexicon JamMan
Repeater
RC-1 and 2
Ableton
Mobius

4) what are the strengths of these tools?

HW vs SW debate I will leave to others.  For me, every looper is an instrument and like an instrument, it has its peculiar abilities and limitations.  If I had more time, I would learn to play them all.

6) do you modify a loop once it's been created? if so, how?

O yes.  by way of midi notes, midi arpeggios, quantize replace, filtering and modulation, ADSR, you name it.

7) how much planning do you do for a particular performance?

I rehearse workflows extensively with an aim to-- making all loops in real time while creating musical arrangements that can go somewhere without a long period of navel gazing while I build out the basic tracks.
Eve when playing a preconceived song form, most of the playing is improvised.

8) what form does this planning take? (do you write it down, keep it
in your head, etc)
I experiment with various looper controls, both recording and processing, to create new workflows that will facilitate quick improvisation of a song form.   When I get a workflow going that works well for me, that inspires some good playing,  I save it as a project and start rehearsing specific musical motifs and the necessary river dance on the controller, to create looping improvisations that can work (most of the time.)

9) at what level of detail do you plan? (melody, harmony, timbres,
dynamics, instrumental techniques, etc.)

Yes.  Just as you would plan for any musical performance.