OT A message of hope from Norway about their recent tragedy

A friend of mine received the following letter in the mail from a Norwegian friend about the recent tragic killings in Norway and I wanted to share it with everyone on this list
as I find it very inspiring to read and it gave me hope.

The way the Norwegian people have responded in toto to this tragedy shines the light ahead for how we can all treat the hatred, fear and separation that exists in the world today.

This is a fantastic list of very creative people from all over the world. We are blessed to know each
other and to be able to communicate with each other all the time.

Peace and Love to you all,

Rick Walker

the letter:

Thank you for messages of condolence and sympathy regarding the bombing in
Oslo and shooting in a youth camp on a small island near Oslo. It warms to
have you thinking of us.

I have been able to reach almost all co-counsellors living in Norway. They
have not been so close as to be injuried by the bombing and they were not
present on the island during the attack. But many people here know
survivors
or victims or their relatives or friends. We are a small nation and youth
delegations from all parts of Norway were present at the camp.

I guess you know most of the cruelty from the news.  I will not repeat.

But I would like to share some hopeful and deeply moving things happening
here:

The prime minister, the head of police in the municipality of the attacked
island, the king, the queen, leaders of different political parties,- they
have all cried on national television. The leaders of the nation encourage
people  to hug, hold hands, be close, cry, tell their stories and listen to
each other with love and respect.

There is very little demand for revenge against the anti-islamic
offender.  Instead
a collective agreement has been reached to embrace the values that the
offender wished to destroy by creating a more open, friendly and inclusive
society. A young woman said: “If one person can hate this much, think of
all
the love we are able to show together.”

There has not been so many people out in the streets since the celebration
of the end of World War II. On Monday in my town, there were muslims and
Christians, young and old, -  thousands and thousands  of people hugging,
giving flowers to each other, putting flowers on buildings and fences. A
wonderful appeal was given: “Tonight the streets are filled with love.”

This atmosphere of sister and brotherhood will probably fade as society
goes
back to normal. But something special and precious happened these days. It
showed us what is possible and there are many, many who will make an effort
to have this as a permanent part of society. It will definitely have an
impact on the upcoming elections. Racist statements and extreme right wing
sympathies will be very unpopular.

Myself, I can’t help smile at every person I meet. Thinking: “You precious
person, I am so glad you are alive.”

I am proud of my people.

Anne H.