Re: Splitting Signal

Andy,

Reading thru some of your older posts on the subject, i see you have advocated for simple splitter cables before :)

"You can always use a Y cable to split an output to multiple inputs,
but you can't generally use a Y cable to mix into one input.
(of course, the output has to be buffered, which it will be on a mixer)"
(2009)
I had previously been routing line-level signal through the Mackie, then out via various means (an aux send here, alt 3/4 there, a half insert etc) to the loopers and back into the Mackie for mixing.

It seemed to me that this was not such an elegant solution and I was suspicious about all the conversions I assumed was going on :)

SO I thought splitting the signal before the Mackie might be better:  going directly into the loopers, then neatly into the proper channels on the mixer for mixing. Less conversion must mean better signal fidelity, was the thinking...

Hence my search for a splitter. I tried splitter cables, but a Y on a Y on a Y to get four lines was comical and sounded bad; used a Whirlwind A/B box and that was clean but only two lines; then tried a Morley Tripler, which was noisy as can be; tried a Hosa passive 1in to 4out box, and that sucked the last drop of tone out of my world; then looked at Radial and now, I hope finally, looking at the Rane solution.

In your opinion, should your splitter cable rules, quoted above, apply pre-Mackie as well as post?

Phil :)