Re: Let's talk....guitar synths / guitar -> midi

hi Marcus,

I looked into it,
and I actually have the hardware to do it.
(mainly it's the hassle of the Roland p/u which
prevents me from getting those toys out)

The Axon stuff is pretty good, but they don't actually make the p/u
themselves (afaik) so if a Roland p/u is cheaper go for that.
Then you need the 13 pin cable, adds to the price.

The much cheaper route is http://www.sonuus.com/products_g2m.html
which is mono (no 13 pin).
...but then the freqbox is mono, so that's not an issue.
Tracking is a bit slower, but less warbling.

Do you already have the mp-201? if you need something that's Midi to CV for less money
http://www.thomann.de/gb/doepfer_mcv4.htm

That's the expense, then there's the troubles.
The Freqbox is designed for 1V/oct, but it's not ultra stable and you'll need to tweak an internal preset to get the scale
dead right (can be well in tune over 3 oct at least).
To follow the guitar dynamics put the dry guitar into the freqbox
audio in.

If you want the Moog MF-102 Ring Mod to play in tune
then that's harder. It's around 0.35V/oct so you'll
need to attenuate the control voltage to play a (fairly) in tune scale.
(don't know if the mp-201 does that, but it's easy enough to make your own attenuator with a 10k or 100k linear pot)

Once you got that going I can predict you'll want an MF-101
filter too :-)

andy

marcus kirby wrote:
I really want the ability to convert my guitar signal to a midi signal. From there, I'd like to spit pitch cv out to my moog stuff via the moog mp-201. I think it would be cool to have a freqbox or ring mod tuned to whatever note I'm playing.

So....I have read about hex pickups and axon interfaces, but not totally sure what the price / proper pairing would be.

Then comes the topic of...why not just play a synth...good question, since I already have one.
Anyone ventured into this territory? What were your conclusions?