Re: Swirlies #2 (for Evan Parker) Photo Essay on Flickr

Many years ago I played at the Montreux festival, and one of the benefits of that was access to pretty much everything that was going on. I got to see an outdoor concert by the Music Improvisation Company, which included Evan Parker and Derek Bailey. For me it was one of those seminal moments, and the concert just twisted my head around. The music was a wonderful fusion of avant garde jazz and contemporary classical music that I found really compelling, and it pushed me off in a new direction that I've never tired of. Every once in awhile I run into somebody who loves that style as much as I do. Great fun ensues.