Re: Why...?

Am 22.10.11 07:45, schrieb william middlemiss:
Why do you 'loop'? What got you started on this path?

Unlike gender driven motivations, mine was triggered by my inner child. I didn't know it was "looping" 'till I cam across Loopers-Delight. Just childishly playing with a delay and a pitch shifter, later with a Boss SE-70 I started some tweaking and had fun with it. This lead to Max patches controlling those devices, which for long had been replaced by pure software...

Was it a mechanism for solo performance? to record a vamp?

I avoid solo as much as I can. My Instrument does allow to do solo, but it doesn't come even close to the fun of playing with others...

A compositional device, a new avenue of expression? (repetition as
compositional device?)

Oh yes, my programs became the tool to incorporate the complexity of compositions into free improvised music...

An 'artistic statement' in itself? as if to say "I DONT NEED NO STINKIN
BAND!"

I do need a Band, though I prefer the non-stinking ones...

A fallback for artistic roadblocks? (as in--an easy way out)

What is an artistic roadblock???

A way of exploring new rhythms?

Every day delivers new rhythms already...

A textural apparatus? sound design?

I love textures, and I paint them with my set...
(I should call my music sonic painting...)

A means of 'warping sound'?

Yes, but especially also warping the time structure, as opposed to just layering effects on the sounds...

With me, it's been all of the above, and I've jumped among 7 or 8
devices along the way.

Since I started, the devices vanished completely, except for a Mac running Max/MSP and of course an audio interface and some controllers. The only gear I am really into now are controllers, the last one is my very first foot controller, a SoftStep...

Stefan

--
Les Ondes Memorielles--------x--