Anyway, the magic for me, with my own solution, is that each suggestion triggers something different depending upon context. I may be working on something in 3/4, and the Brian Wilson card may trigger sleighbells for me... but in another context, that same card may trigger something around close harmonies or a Wilson-esque guitar-and-bass figure... one never knows... and working on a quiet piece and drawing the Gang of Four card? Interesting for sure.

Stephen, I am no idiot. But your comment has inspired me to add a card to the deck: What would Iggy Pop do?

Phil

On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 10:38 AM, Stephen Goodman <spgoodman@earthlight.net> wrote:
Heh, one thinks of the old joke card saying "How do you keep an idiot busy? (turn over card)", on both sides... :)  Sorry.

-----Original Message----- From: Per Boysen
Sent: Friday, November 04, 2011 5:13 PM
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com

Subject: Re: What do YOU do when creativity dries up?

Each one of them would chose to do "something else"
...which means all cards are the same.

p:-)

On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 6:10 PM, Phil Clevenger <phil.clevenger@gmail.com> wrote:
I have a set of index cards I maintain and turn to when things dry up...

Each card contains one entry;

What would Brian Wilson do?

What would Joni MItchell do?

What would Glen Campbell do?

What would Prince do?

What would Gang of Four do?

and so on.

I've never had to draw a second card... and there has never been a case
where the card and the current project were unable to find some point of
meaningful engagement... nor has the result ever been anywhere close to
detectable vis a vis the inspirational source taken from the card. And it's
very often shed new light on what seems to be an intractable situation :)

It's been a wonderful tool for me... highly recommended :)

Phil :)