Re: Live Looping versus using Pre-Recorded Loops

Its a question of bandwidth and resource allocation. An inordinate amount of time is needed to record the parts for a complex piece such as Steve Reich's Electric Counterpoint at the beginning of a performance. Add to that the preparation time for learning and practicing the parts all the way through- all but the most attentive listeners with long perceptual ability would retain interest. Hence the need for a prerecorded 'tape.'

Same kind of thing with Stockhausen's Kontakte, and many other complex works. Necessity dictates preparation of materials in certain circumstances. I certainly would not call that cheating- in fact I would say it's the opposite. Preparation/practice is not cheating.