Re: Re: Re: Live Looping versus using Pre-Recorded Loops

On 7/22/64 11:59 AM, Per Boysen wrote:
Guys, your discussion in this thread makes it impossible to hold back
this final question:

Is it cheating to compose the music before you perform it?

LOL,  that's a good and funny question.   Of course not.

But I also think that one's intentions in art have some impact on the art.

In other words, if you are setting out to break the world speed record for flatpicking (as I saw on a particularly funny and odious video on youtube last night) and you play a Beatles song on an old beater acoustic guitar you have sort of failed, haven't you?

If you come to headline a live looping festival and you don't make a single loop in real time in front of the audience and merely play over triggered samples and loops, then that's a
'fail' in my book.

As I said in my last thread, I was really only talking about the live looping festival
and not at all about all music.

I'm passionate and opinionated at times, but I'm not that black and white about the subject of
music.

I absolutely love composed music and, if the truth be told, I've been working for the last year on a project that is entirely composed.............there may not even be looping in it at all......whooooaaaaaaah!!!!

rick